Grape Seed Extract is a powerful antioxidant that helps the body fight free radicals. These free radicals can cause a buildup of toxins in the body and damage cells, which leads to premature aging and chronic disease. It is extracted from the seeds of grapes and other fruits, such as raspberries, apples, and cranberries.
Studies show that grape seed extract may help prevent heart disease by reducing high blood pressure, decreasing blood clotting factors, and reducing cholesterol levels. It may also help prevent cancer by slowing tumor growth, preventing DNA damage, and inhibiting the growth of new blood vessels from tumors (angiogenesis). A grape seed extract has also been shown to reduce inflammation caused by allergies or arthritis. However, most of these studies were conducted on animals rather than humans; therefore, more research is needed before any conclusions can be made.
Grape seed extract contains proanthocyanidins (PAC), flavonoids with potent antioxidant activity. In addition, the fruit’s seeds contain an oil rich in procyanidins — water-soluble bioflavonoids that have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidant effects.
How Does Grape Seed Extract Work?
Grape seed extract contains several bioactive compounds, including proanthocyanidins (PACs), flavanols, and resveratrol. These compounds have antioxidant properties that help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals, which are produced when the body breaks down fats and carbohydrates through metabolism. Free radicals can also be formed when your body is exposed to cigarette smoke or other environmental pollutants.
The antioxidants in grape seed extract may help lower your risk of developing heart disease and other chronic illnesses by preventing oxidative stress on your cells.
What are the Potential Health Benefits of Grape Seed Extract?
In addition, grape seed extract has been found to have anti-inflammatory, antithrombotic, anticancer, antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties that may help prevent or treat a range of health issues.
Here are 10 potential health benefits of grape seed extract:
- Reducing the risk of high blood pressure: Some studies have suggested that grape seed extract may help to lower blood pressure in people with hypertension.
- Lowering cholesterol levels: Grape seed extract may help lower cholesterol levels by increasing the production of LDL (bad) cholesterol and decreasing HDL (good) cholesterol.
- Improving venous insufficiency: Grape seed extract may help improve venous insufficiency, a condition in which the veins cannot pump enough blood back to the heart.
- Reducing the risk of certain types of cancer: Some research suggests that grape seed extract may have anti-tumor effects and may help to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, such as breast and prostate cancer.
- Reducing inflammation: Grape seed extract may have anti-inflammatory effects, which may help to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Protecting against heart disease: Grape seed extract may help to reduce the risk of heart disease by improving blood flow and reducing inflammation.
- Improving skin health: Grape seed extract may help to improve skin health by reducing inflammation and protecting against UV radiation.
- Reducing the risk of stroke: Some studies have suggested that grape seed extract may help to reduce the risk of stroke by improving blood flow and reducing inflammation.
- Enhancing athletic performance: Grape seed extract may help to enhance athletic performance by reducing muscle damage and improving blood flow.
- Improving cognitive function: Grape seed extract may help to improve cognitive function by protecting against oxidative stress and inflammation in the brain.
Is Grape Seed Extract Safe?
The grape seed extract is generally considered safe when taken in recommended doses. However, as with any supplement, it is important to speak with a healthcare provider before starting use, as it may interact with certain medications or have other potential risks.
How Do I take Grape Seed Extract?
The grape seed extract is available in capsule form or as an extract you take orally with food or water twice daily, depending on your dosage instructions.